Benefits of prenatal massage
- Increases blood circulation, which provides more oxygen and nutrients to both mother and fetus
- Soothes and relaxes the nervous system by releasing endorphins into the mother’s body.
- Reduces stress on weight-bearing joints and encourages blood and lymph circulation
- Offers a natural, safe, and drug-free alternative choice for pain relief
- Helps to relax nervous tension, which aids in better sleep-and can help relieve depression or anxiety caused by hormonal changes.
What to expect
During a prenatal massage we adapt for the anatomical changes as you go through your pregnancy. As your shape and posture changes, a trained massage therapist will make accommodations with special cushioning systems or holes that allow you to lie face down safely, while providing room for your growing belly and breasts. Or you might lie on your side with the support of pillows and cushions. Long, slow strokes and kneading movements in tense areas will be used, with special attention paid to the lower back, hips, and legs. If your aching in a particular area let your massage therapist know, they should be able to focus on a particular area if it’s bothering you similarly to a normal massage and be able to give you the full body experience.