Cupping massage uses specially-designed cups that therapists place on pressure points in the body. The cups provide negative pressure. This means they suck the tissue (muscle, fascia, skin, fat) up into the cup. This draws blood flow in and actually lifts the tissue, taking pressure off it. This is one of the things that makes cupping so unique and it is the only technique that uses this pressure to lift the tissue rather than compressing it. One thing you may have seen from cupping is the big round bruises left behind after treatment. This is all very normal. It is a sign that blood flow has entered the area as well as inflammation that will help with the healing process.
Benefits of cupping massage
- Pain and tension relief
- Sports recovery. Professional athletes are increasingly using cupping therapy as part of their recovery practices
- Alleviates stress on weight-bearing joints and musculo-fascial structures
- The suction from the cups increases circulation to the area
- Focused blood flow helps your body by flushing built-up toxins through the lymphatic system
- Cupping can improve varicose veins and spider veins